Saturday, November 23, 2013

Salted Caramel Pecan Pie

Happy Saturday everyone!  I cannot believe there are only 5 days left until Thanksgiving.  What's even better is that I will be flying to CA on Tuesday for the holiday weekend with my family.  I cannot wait to see everyone and hear the waves crashing against the rocks at our beach house.  

But, before Thanksgiving with my family, I went to a Friendsgiving Dinner with some sweet friends here in Austin.  When trying to figure out what to make, I immediately looked in my new cookbook, Jamie Deen's Good Food.  I absolutely love Jamie.  I have seen every single episode of his show Home For Dinner on the Food Network.  He is just so adorable.  But thats besides the point...  When flipping through his cookbook, I landed on this Salted Caramel Pecan Pie with a Pretzel Crust and just knew thats what I needed to make!  



The Ingredients!

My very first pie right before it goes in the oven.  When it says place the pie plate on a cookie sheet while it cooks to catch the drips, DO IT.  I just checked on mine and it has already dripped a ton!

Oh man, I actually tried this pie and it was so darn yummy!!



Ingredients
 1 1/4 cups salted pretzel crumbs (from 5 ounces pretzels)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 6 tablespoons, cut into pieces
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon flaky sea salt (preferably Maldon)
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups chopped pecans 

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Add the pretzel crumbs, flour, sugar, and melted butter to a medium bowl and stir until combined. Dump the crumb mixture into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate and press it evenly around the bottom and sides of the pan. Place the pie plate on a sheet tray to catch drips and bake for 10 minutes, until the crust is firm.

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, butter pieces, and sea salt and bring it up to a boil, while stirring. Remove from the heat and cool. Whisk in the eggs, then switch to a wooden spoon to stir in your pecans. Pour the mixture into the pretzel crust and bake for 50 minutes. Cool the pie completely before serving.

Makes 8 servings.

Notes:
This pie can be made a day ahead.  If not, make sure the pie has enough time to cool.   If the pie isn't completely cool before serving, it could be runny.






1 comment: