Sunday, July 20, 2014

Summer Reading

As a kid, I absolutely loved reading.  I would read pretty much any book that I could get my hands on.  Then I got to middle school/high school and was required to read book over the summer.  The books were never very good and made me hate reading for a while.  Then came college and reading textbooks.  During those years, I probably only read 15 books for pleasure.  

So this summer, I decided to challenge myself to read 10 books.  My start date was June 1st and I gave myself 3 months.  I am at the halfway point now and have read 6 books!!  It probably helps that I have taken two trips this summer which meant lots of airplane time and beach time.

Here is the list of books I have read in the order that I read them.


This has been my favorite book that I have read.  If you are a sports fan, you need to read this.  I have followed Mark Herzlich's story from the beginning and he is such a courageous man.  This book chronicles his journey from being diagnosed with cancer to his treatment to his triumphant return to the football field.  




The One and Only by Emily Giffin

This is Emily Giffin's seventh book and I could not wait for it to come out.  I even pre-ordered it on Amazon two months before it was released.  Let's just say that I think I hyped it up way to much.  It was a quick read but I just didn't really enjoy the story expect for the fact that it was set in Texas and mentioned Baylor a couple times.  


The Fault In Our Stars by John Green


I finally had the chance to read The Fault In Our Stars while I was in Cozumel.  I had heard such good things about this book and was also told to read it before I went to see the movie.  As someone who cries at everything, I was expecting to cry throughout the book but didn't shed one tear. I think thats because I had prepared myself for it to be really sad.  I still loved it though and am so glad that I read it.  Now I just need to go see the movie!!


After I Do by Taylor Jenkins Reid

I could not put this book down.  I started it at 10 PM one night and read it until I fell asleep.  Then, when I woke up the next morning, the first thing I did was finish it.  This story is about a married couple who decide to separate for a year, have no communication at all, and then get back together after the year to decide the future of their relationship.  To say I loved it would be an understatement.  GO READ THIS!



The Matchmaker by Elin Hilderbrand

Elin Hilderbrand is one of my favorite authors.  Her books are perfect for the beach and this one was no different.  It is definitely a chick book and I am not ashamed to admit I loved it.  



Nantucket Sisters by Nancy Thayer

This book was about two best friends who lived their childhood on the island of Nantucket.  One of the girls left Nantucket and moved to NYC while the other one stayed on the island.  Their lives, however, were always intertwined as they fell in love, had children, and experienced the joys/sorrows of life.  When I finished this book, I was so upset.  I wasn't ready for it to end.  So, Nancy Thayer, please feel free to write a sequel!!


Up next for this summer:

Forever, Interrupted by Taylor Jenkins Reid

The Vacationers by Emma Straub


One Plus One by Jojo Moyes

Beautiful Day by Elin Hilderbrand



There you have it.  I have 43 days left to read 4 books.  Lets see if I can actually accomplish this goal.  Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment